Three-day Marathon for the Development of Innovative Applications and Services for Local Authorities
The mission of KEDE is the continuous development and strengthening of Municipalities for the benefit of citizens and society, as well as the promotion and support of the leading role of local authorities in order to solve problems and meet challenges at local – regional and national level. In this context, it organizes the first Application Development Marathon on technological and operational innovation in the broader field of smart cities (smartcities). The action will be held on 12-14 May in Athens with the organizational and technological support of the Greek innovation company Crowdpolicy.
CITY CHALLENGE – crowdhackathon #smartcity is a three-day Marathon for the Development of Innovative Applications and Services, during which participants are to develop pilot services and applications solving problems that local authorities face and supporting local and national development through new technologies. Those that can participate in the crowdhackathon are officials of the Municipalities, young entrepreneurs, developers, analysts, students and anyone interested in turning their idea on topics related to local authorities into an application.
Through the action CITY CHALLENGE – crowdhackathon #smartcity, creative human capital is mobilized, creativity and youth entrepreneurship are strengthened and innovation is promoted, which results in the active contribution to the economic recovery of our country. At the same time, the social dimension of the ideas and the general philosophy of open public data actively contribute to social solidarity which is necessary nowadays. The action is part of the effort of KEDE to keep young scientists and entrepreneurs in our country and address the «brain drain» phenomenon.
The goals of KEDE CITY CHALLENGE – crowdhackathon #smartcity are the following:
- Creating innovation, supporting youth and innovative entrepreneurship, providing opportunities for young people, combating unemployment.
- Supporting the local economy, as contestants from all Municipalities can participate, from all over Greece, who can then create their own business.
- Creating smart and innovative solutions to problems that citizens and municipalities face.
- Developing and presenting pilot applications, which can be useful to Municipalities, during the three-day competition and awarding the groups with the best applications and ideas.
- Making the results of the competition available to everyone.
- Cost savings – future development of applications once.. for all Municipalities.
Thematic areas of interest for the creation of applications and services:
- Electronic services of Municipalities – e-government – open data
- Promotion of transparency and accountability
- Protection of the environment and management of resources
- Development of tourism
- Services for businesses
- Development of applications for the local economy and sustainable development
- Internet of Things, Mobile & Smart Grids, ICT Technologies, Telematics, Energy Management – Lighting, Smart Buildings – Energy Efficient Buildings, Transport Networks – Road Networks – Traffic Management, Transport (electromobility, gas-powered vehicles, hybrid vehicles) and Public Transport, Water and Waste Management, Health and Telemedicine
- Electronic Payments, Crowdfunding
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
The process will be participatory with the active involvement of Municipalities and their officials, the business and academic community and all interested parties. Citizens have an active role in highlighting problems and they can participate as contestants in order to propose solutions.The thematic areas will be enriched by everyone’s participation through a dedicated consultation platform (Crowdinnovation).
For the first time online consultations will take place for the submission of needs, ideas and proposals concerning the electronic infrastructures of the Municipalities and improvements as well as the local development through innovative technologies and practices.
- January – April 2017: Start of online consultation on needs and proposals on services and applications for smart cities
- March – April 2017: Release of the technical specifications and support committees (mentors of the participating teams and the evaluation committee that will be composed of renowned executives in Greece and internationally)
- 12 – 14 May 2017: CITY CHALLENGE – crowdhackathon #smartcity – workshops and innovation competition for students.
Applications made by Society for Society
The best pilot applications and services will be awarded, they will be available to everyone and they will be developed with the support of KEDE. KEDE actively contributes to creating innovation, boosting youth and innovative entrepreneurship and will create solutions to the everyday problems of Municipalities and their internal ICT-based functioning.
Various open events will take place in the context of CITY CHALLENGE, such as thematic workshops, seminars on good practices in local authorities and on financial tools and ways to support projects and actions of the Municipalities, and a student competition for smart cities. In addition, an innovation exposition will be held, in which Bodies and Businesses can participate.
The action CITY CHALLENGE is part of the strategy and policy of KEDE for introducing new technologies, solving everyday problems of the Municipalities and developing through participatory structures and open processes. More information will be available shortly on the online platform of the action (www.crowdhackathon.com/smartcity) and the website of KEDE (www.kedke.gr).